Click for Lincolnshire map.
Fulbeck

Fulbeck, Lincolnshire

Church of St. Nicholas.

 

A village along the Grantham road with one or two good 18th century houses.

Picture from postcard, available from Fulbeck Church.
Church of St. Nicholas, Fulbeck
The church of St Nicholas has a perpendicular west tower with eight pinnacles, the middle ones on two diagonal projections starting above the transomed twin two light bell openings. Arcades of three bays with round piers and double chamfered arches, much renewed but originally from about 1300, so also are the south and north doorways. To the church in this state probably belonged a clerestory of circular windows, there is evidence of part of one blocked on the south side. The present clerestory is perpendicular with a lozenge frieze on the parapet and pinnacles. The side windows were all decorated but much over restored in 1858. Only the south aisle east window is perpendicular. The beautiful east window of the chancel in the style of about 1300 is however a complete restoration by Charles Kirk in 1887.

The font is described as a splendid piece of the transition period , of drum shape with four polygonal angle shafts. In between intersecting arches a leaf band above and above that a rope moulding except in one quarter where there is dogtooth moulding instead. The present condition is possibly due to re tooling according to Pevsner.

Stalls There are just two of them in the chancel of which one has a leaf misericord.

Painting. This is a former altar piece which shows Christ and the Woman from Samaria according to Pevsner - in Stothard style.

Stained Glass.-The east window by Heaton Butler & Bayne, The chancel windows are by Wailes bar one which is by O’Connor. The north aisle east and south aisle west windows are also by O’Connor.

Monuments.- There is a group of monuments of about 1680 which are oblong and with curved tops but no figures These are to Sir Francis Fane died 1680 comprising a central urn on a plinth with heraldic shields. Thomas Ball died 1674 who was a faithful Fane servant who had travelled with his master over most European countries. Timothy Thorold a Doctor of Physic and members of his family up to 1680. George Smith who died in 1766 and the memorial is signed by Wallis. Francis Atkinson Died 1795 also signed by Wallis. Thomas Atkinson Died 1805 again by Wallis. Vere Fane who died in 1826 signed by Crake. Sir Henry Fane died 1840 by E. H. Bailey. General Mildmay Fane Died 1868 which is in the north aisle east. This is described as a "strong High Victorian design of crocketed gable over a trefoil supported on pairs of detached columns".

There are also some other nice tablets.

It is stressed that one must turn west off the main road towards the green and the church where there is an Inn and south to a hill. Anyone who is interested in houses is recommended to have a good look round.

See also cast iron gravemarkers at Fulbeck


This site is a work in progress.


Main Page